The HepQuant DuO Test is a quantitative liver function test. It assesses cholate uptake, a liver specific function. Cholate is a naturally occurring substance that is cleared by the liver. Cholate uptake is a well-established process that reflects the health of liver cells.
Physicians may use HepQuant DuO to adjunctively help guide treatment decisions.
One Drink + Two Blood Samples
Simple test administration. No special training is needed. The patient drinks juice containing cholate. Two blood samples are collected and sent to the HepQuant CLIA laboratory for analysis. The HepQuant DuO Test report provides actionable insights that add to other lab results and clinical assessments to guide treatment decisions and help doctors manage and monitor patients with chronic liver disease.
At the Clinic
Drink cholate in juice.
Natural substance, known clearance
Measure the non-radioactive isotope to assess liver health
Collect blood at 20 and 60 minutes.
At the Lab
The HepQuant CLIA lab analyzes the serum.
Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spec
Ultra-sensitive analytical tools to ensure accurate measurement
The Disease Severity Index and an estimate of liver shunt% aid in the assessment of liver health.
Help Guide Treatments
- Decide to proceed or delay invasive procedures
- Predict progression
- Monitor treatment effects
Need More Information?
Learn more about availability and how to order
- Helmke SM, Everson GT. Diagnostic Performance of The HepQuant SHUNT Test In Prediction Of Large Esophageal Varices In Well-Compensated Fibrosis Or Cirrhosis Due To Chronic Hepatitis C. Hepatology 2020; 72:1140A-1141A.
- Fallahzadeh MA, Hansen DJ, Trotter JF, Everson GT, Saracino G, Rahimi RS, Helmke S, Boutte J, Asrani SK. Predicting clinical decompensation in patients with cirrhosis using the HepQuant SHUNT Test. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2021;53(8):928-938.
- Lawitz EJ, Ertle J, Schoelch C, Gawshaw I, Helmke SM, Everson GT. BI 685509 Improves Hepatic Function in Subjects with Child–Pugh A Cirrhosis and a Liver Stiffness Measurement of >15 Kpa: Results From the HepQuant SHUNT Test. Hepatology 2021; 74, (S1) 1238-1239A.
HepQuant DuO is a Laboratory Developed Test (LDT). This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by HepQuant, LLC in a manner consistent with CLIA requirements. This test has not been cleared or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The HepQuant DuO Test is not available for sale. It will be available soon to healthcare professionals as an adjunctive aid in assessment of liver function, in conjunction with clinical evaluation and other tests.